I remember on school holidays my mum used to let us choose a sweet cereal as a ‘treat’ and I would choose coco pops. Here is a healthier and easy recipe to make your own. It’s a fun one to make with the kids too.
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 cups puffed rice (from health food section of some supermarkets, ingredients is only rice)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- In a small pan, mix oil, syrup, cocoa and cinnamon and heat on low temp until oil melted, stir often (or microwave for 30 seconds)
- Place puffed rice in large bowl
- Add liquid and mix well
- Spread puffed rice mix on oven tray
- Cool for 10 minutes, stir half way through
- Allow to cool and store in air tight container
If you can’t find puffed rice (plain puff rice not cereal) use rice flakes or oats (rice flakes have a very different texture though). But if using oats it is no longer gluten free.
Try using half puffed rice and half puffed corn.