If your fillings are always falling out of your wrap, have a crack at this ingenious method. You can even pop it into the toaster to heat it up if you don’t have a sandwich press.
All you have to do is make a cut to the center, then lay your ingredients in the 4 quarters, then start folding. Here’s a video to show you how (this one is egg omelette, cheese sweet chili sauce and salad): Click for wraps video
Time to get creative!
Step 1: Choose your wrap
Multigrain is a little more nutritious than white, as it is jam packed with fibre (for your gut health) but variety is the spice of life so mix it up. If you or your children love your white wraps, then you can add fibre to it by adding some fruit and/or veg as a filling.
Step 2: Choose your spread
There are heaps of spreads to choose from including hummus or another dip, avocado, tomato paste or relish, yoghurt, sour cream, jam, honey, peanut butter, cream cheese, ricotta cheese.
Step 3: Choose your toppings
And you can choose anything! Cheese, sliced meat, fried egg or omelette, tinned tuna, chickpeas, last night’s leftovers, any salad veggies or roasted veggies, even pop in some fresh or canned (and drained) fruit.
Step 4: Optional: A sprinkle of extra flavour
Ground cinnamon or nutmeg go well with banana and fruity toppings. Cracked pepper or some of your favourite fresh or dried herbs (mine is parsley) with savoury options. Other ideas can be chia seeds, nuts and seeds, shredded coconut.
Here are some of our favourite savoury ideas:
- Pizza wrap: ham, spinach, tomato paste, pineapple and cheese
- Egg (scrambled/omelette/mashed), salad, cheese and sauce
- Feta, hummus, spinach and cherry tomatoes, carrot
- Mexican: cooked mince, salsa, lettuce, bean mix, cheese
- Tofu, cucumber, carrot, capsicum, peanut sauce
- Shredded chicken, cream cheese, capsicum and corn, red onions
- Banana, peanut butter, walnuts, sultanas
- Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, yoghurt
Mix it up
- Try some Asian flavours. Instead of a wrap use a sheet of seaweed to make square sushi. Try using tuna, avocado, cucumber, corn, mayo, rice
- Use rice paper roll to have a Vietnamese twist. Soften rice paper in water and try adding prawn, shredded carrot and cucumber, mint, rice noodles, sweet chilli sauce
Is your favourite combination here? If you make a wrap, please tag us @foost.com.au on instagram or facebook.